Saturday, March 17, 2012

Radio Gig

   There are a lot of different ways to support adoption.  Two years AA (after adoption),  I know that adoption this is not for everyone.  However, I also know that we are commanded to care for widows and orphans.
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after widows and orphans in their distress and to keep oneself polluted from this world." -James 1:27 
   Looking after widows and orphans can come in the form of prayer for a struggling mama (hello, you know one!), writing a check to Children's HopeChest, or going on a trip to build a home for a widow.  Or maybe the voice in the back of your head is telling you to go to that foster care class...whatever. Do something.
   Ryan and I have become associates for our adoption agency.  Not because we thought they were fabulous but because they told us that they saw us as couple that is real and transparent, and have a heart for the orphan.  We see this as an opportunity to challenge others to take the next step, to educate families on the adoption options out there, and to lead groups on trips to serve older, un-adoptable orphans.

  We are hosting our  first seminar next week in Omaha.  The seminar will cover what God says about adoption and  discuss the realities of the process.  Someone at the local Christian radio station saw one of our posters, and poof!, next thing we knew, the boys and I were in a recording studio.  I can't tell you my anxiety level at the idea of Etienne and Zeke in a radio station.  So many buttons and knobs!  In our 30 minutes there, E had taken apart and head set and Zeke managed to scream "God's not dead!" into the microphone.  Par for the course here.  Both AM and the FM KGBI stations will be running 2 1/2 minute interviews with us before each news and weather segment for the next few days.  So cool!  The brief conversation gave me I the opportunity to share what this blog says today on adoption as well as invite the community to our seminar.  Plus, I got cool mama status for the day because E and Zeke both believed that they were indeed rapping and beat boxing "God songs" to the radio listeners of the Omaha metro area.... 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I found your blog after doing a search on Rwandan adoptions. I loved reading about your journey as ours is just beginning. Because of your blog, I found my way to AWAA and have signed up to go to the seminar in our local church this Saturday! In the meantime, I wanted to send you virtual hugs from SC. I enjoy your blog because it makes me feel close to our son. I'm not sure if this is the way to go since our situation is a bit different- we "adopted" a 19 year old orphan son in Rwanda via Africa New Life Ministries. Because of his age, I believe bringing him here is not possible right now. I could be wrong. Which is why I am interested in the seminar. I am headed to Rwanda with a mission team and hope to meet my son for the first time. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your beautiful boys. All the best to you and your family. Tessa

    ReplyDelete