Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whispers in my Ear

Tonight we came home from a fun night out with friends and as I was picking the kitchen up, Etienne came out naked, saying, "ready for bathtime, Mama." I didn't think a lot of it but told him to please get dressed, it wasn't time yet. A few minutes later, I noticed a very large, wet stain on my red couch. I asked the crew, including my fab husband, if something spilled. E said, "Maybe from when we went swimming?" I still didn't think much of it. Long story short, Etienne peed his pants and than deliberately lied about it to Ryan and I. At length. You can guess that this was followed by a lot of discipline and tears.
I was really angry. The same old lies. Peeing his pants. Ugh. But I knew the RAD response to this was exactly what I didn't feel like doing. So I began to pray with E and than rock him (grudgingly). Then, without prompting, Etienne apologized for lying. We rocked and I sang to him and told him I forgave him. E than asked, "Sing me that song that Jesus sings." I really wasn't sure and asked him what he was talking about. He said (word for word) "When I was in that orphanage, Jesus whispered in my ear at night. He said 'I will take care of you.'" Those who know Etienne know that he is loud, funny, and loud again. He isn't much for make believe or story telling. I soaked in what he said as we rocked and rocked and cried and cried some more together. Again, Etienne told me how Jesus whispered and sometimes he sang about taking care of him. He said he didn't see Jesus that much, but he could feel and hear him. "It was dark at night, Mama."
FYI for skeptics. Everyone in the Home of Hope wore a habit. And they were women.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! This gives me chills. I don't think I've ever commented on your blog before...We are Keri and Nathan and are in line to adopt (hopefully) from Rwanda as well. We recently received word that our approval is on its way. Now we hope and pray that there are children to be matched with us before time runs out. Anyway, I pray almost every night that Jesus would whisper to our kids...that he would tell them that mommy and daddy are coming...that he would comfort them and speak words of peace... When I read the words above, my heart nearly jumped out of my chest! Amazing...just amazing!
    -Keri
    kms17@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kara...this brings me to tears. There are so many pieces to this puzzle of life we don't see or understand. How special that God revealed this one to you. This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you father God for singing to the orphans !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so amazing. I am in awe of how much our God loves these children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a powerful story.

    As a mama who is waiting for my child - this comforts me so much tonight.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to copy this (just for my own use - not to sell!). My sister adopted and this just made me cry. It is so amazingly beautiful, not just for those who adopt, but for all of us who see the children who we just can't bring into our homes (I work in a non-profit and see this often here in the US as well). Thank you so much for sharing this deeply touching story.

    ReplyDelete